THIS IS IMPORTANT. Vision Long Island, one of our region’s strongest advocates for Main Street is now releasing daily issues of their new Main Street News. as it endeavors to keep up with events as they unfold. Check out their website. Follow their Facebook.
It’s a sobering, comprehensive review of important, information that includes a range of local initiatives, resources and ways you can help.
There’s news about what’s open, how folks are doing and whatever they can find to help folks weather the storm.
So go there and get informed. In general, some updated ideas that have seemed good to us include:
- Find your favorite local businesses on social media. Call them on the phone See what they’re doing. Buy their stuff.
- Buy Gift Certificates. Consider simply sending a donation to your favorite local business
- Restaurants are closed, but many can still do takeout/delivery. This article, which seems very well resourced, helped us feel informed and a lot safer about doing that!
- Realize many of these places care about their own health, your health and the community more than most ever realized. Know that many local shops are going out of their way to safely keep on keeping on — Much of Main Street — not just the eateries — are now offering curbside service and even delivery. Look up their website/social media. Even if they aren’t advertising it, call them to inquire!
- Special events are hugely important for organizations. Had an event cancelled? Send a donation! You can check our newsletter archives to find 100s of great local organizations
- Strongly consider supporting policy proposals that directly support individuals, small businesses and local governments. While they are going out of their way to come up with creative means of keeping going, there is only so much they can do,
- Just be kind — Especially to the cashiers, service providers and others working through this. Just. Be. Kind.